Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Back in the routine

As exciting as graduating was, it really doesn't change the process of every day life. The Dean of the seminary told us that as Doctors we might be asked to give prescriptions, and he suggested that the only one we dare give might be "read two Psalms and call me in the morning."

So, what did this strenuous process actually do for me? In wish that I could name a bunch of concrete things, but more than anything else it has given me a greater sense of confidence in my ability to do the tough work if I need to, while at the same time pointing out just how limited my personal knowledge is about a whole host of subjects.

Painful realization. I had a professor once who had two doctorates and who told us that when he graduated from High School, he knew that he knew about 90% of all there was to know. After his BA, he realized that he only knew about 60%. After his masters he realized that he only knew 30% and after his first doctorate he realized that he only knew 10% of what there was to now. So in a quest for greater knowledge he pursued a second doctorate. However upon that achievement he realized that he only know about 1% of all there was to know, and he decided to give up the educational process before he ended up a blithering idiot.

Well, I don’t want to be a blithering idiot, but at the same time I don’t feel like I have achieved any sort of higher plane. People do listen more I think, but I am not sure I have anything more significant to say than I ever did, so I find myself speaking less.

Hmmm.

No comments: